- Submit up to four poems in one document. Sequences are accepted. There are no hard and fast length restrictions, but bear in mind that two of our three issues every year are physical magazines, so space is not unlimited.
- There is no preferred style or mode of poetry at takahē. Our poetry editor, Erik Kennedy, says: 'Send us the sort of poems that only you can write. I value poems that engage with the world with urgency, sensitivity, authenticity, and flair. Poetry is not just a game (although it can be one); it is a way of counting our losses and honouring what we have.'
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome (truly!), but please notify us immediately (using the Messages function) if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- During a given submissions period, please only submit in one category of the following: poetry, fiction, or comics. (This is so we can represent as broad a range of writers as possible.)
- Please wait for a response before submitting again. One submission only per submissions period. We have a large volume of submissions, we read with care, and response times may vary.
- Please take the time to enjoy some back issues of takahē. If you receive several rejections from us, we might not be the best readers for your work.
- Work can be in English, or in Te Reo Māori with English translation.
- Guest Poetry places are by solicitation only.
- Please note that our print issues are April and December (also available for digital download), and the August issue is digital-only.
- Submissions are accepted year-round, but the deadlines for each issue are as follows: 31 December for the April print issue, 30 April for the August online issue, and 31 August for the December print issue.
- Payment for published work is NZ$35 for the first page and NZ$25 for each page thereafter, plus a contributor's copy of the issue in which the work appears. For online issues, it is NZ$35 for the first poem and NZ$25 for each additional poem. Payments are via bank transfer domestically. Payments to contributors outside Aotearoa New Zealand are via PayPal and may not be possible where there are excessive fees.
- For questions about submitting, or about individual submissions, get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We use Submittable to accept and review our submissions.